[From time to time, Oregon's President, Judd Plattenburg, provides commentary for the Oregon blog about the state of the business, industry, and community affairs.] August, 2018 How lucky I was…
- Checked to make sure the document is true to size?
- Made sure any bleed is included?
- Made sure the links are hi-res?
- Distilled using the press quality setting?
- Made sure the fonts are embedded?
- Made sure the file separates properly?
- Viewed the PDF before sending?
Adobe Portable Document Files (PDFs) are the preferred file format at Oregon Printing Communications. Since we utilize a PDF workflow, your files will eventually be converted to PDF format. By doing the conversion yourself, not only does it save time and money, it allows you get your printed piece just the way you want without all the back and forth proofing. It also eliminates the risk un-intended type re-flows, missing images or a host of other things that could go wrong in the conversion process. Here is a quick outline of steps to follow when making a PDF for us.
- Documents need to be set up to the finished trimmed size. If the piece runs off the page then include an 1/8” bleed off the sides of the document.
Example: 8.5×11 Letterhead will be set up on an 8.5×11 document with an 1/8” bleed all the way around. The document will still be 8.5×11, but this makes the final size of the PDF 8.75×11.25.
- The document should be linked to all hi-res images (300 dpi for photos, 1200 dpi for line art). Make sure all fonts are loaded (no jagged or bitmapped fonts) before making a PDF. Discard all unused colors from your swatch list. Make sure if using spot colors that they separate properly and if printing four color that all art is CMYK or grayscale, not RGB.
- When exporting or distilling the PDF please use the press quality preset setting so that we get the needed resolution for a high quality print job and make sure to include the 1/8” bleed.
- View the PDF before sending to verify all of the above. Check separations in Adobe Acrobat 7 under Advanced- Output Settings. This will bring up a dialog box where you can check the separations.
If you are uncomfortable or have any further questions on PDF creation, call us and get it right.
We're thrilled to announce that Oregon has been honored in the HP Inkspiration Awards for the third consecutive year! Our self-promotion direct mail piece, "Print on the Edge" was awarded a…
The number-one priority for any nonprofit is advancing their organization’s mission. The number-one challenge? Ensuring donations continue to come in so that they can continue their work. There are so…